How to Apply
Considering a career in journalism or communications? If so, you should definitely consider the UK International Center’s journalism and copywriting internship!
We’re looking for interns who have excellent oral and written communications skills, who are passionate about the communications/marketing/PR fields and are eager to work in a multicultural environment.
What’s in it for me?
Working with the International Center would give you the opportunity to grow exponentially by working in different aspects of communications and writing within the international higher education field.
With this internship you’d be able to learn and apply the basics of journalism and AP Style writing; gain real-world experience applicable to your career; expand your portfolio; work in an international and global setting, which will give you the edge that all college graduates are looking to have; and have the opportunity to explore different writing forms from social media copywriting to news and event articles, feature stories, research, advertising and more.
Deadline to Apply
- Spring 2018: December 5, 2017
- Summer 2018: April 29, 2017
- Fall 2018: Sept. 15, 2017
The intern will be responsible for assisting with writing and copywriting for various projects for the UK International Center and its various sub-units.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Copywriting for:
- Print marketing & advertising (posters, flyers, handbills, brochures)
- Digital advertising
- Social media
- Video scripts
- Press release writing (AP Style) - news, events & announcements
- Feature writing - human interest stories, research & service
- Assist in analysis of story performance in social media
- Assist in production and distribution of newsletters
- Apply technology and analytics to identify trends
- Read and identify media clips from online resources
- Assist with compilation of media coverage reports
- Conduct and compile research
Qualified candidates will be detail-oriented, effective communicators and demonstrate:
- Knowledge of Associated Press Style
- Experience with journalism both news and feature writing through past coursework or other internships
- Familiarity with communications and marketing fields
- Ability to work effectively individually and with others
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work while under pressure and short deadlines.
- Excellent proofreading skills
- Desire to learn in a fast-paced multicultural environment
- Experience using various social media platforms, including but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Snapchat.
- Basic knowledge and/or aptitude to learn Facebook Insights and Twitter Analytics, and Hootsuite or similar social media management tool.
- Working knowledge of iOS (Apple) and MS Office.
PRSSA, Ad Club and AMA members are highly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit an email to Andrea Gils, Marketing and Communications Manager, UK International Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include in your subject line: UKIC Journalism Internship Application – [TERM: Spring/Summer/Fall] [YEAR]: [YOURNAME] and attach ALL of the following items:
- Cover letter expressing interest in the position and why you think you’d be a good fit
- Up-to-date resume
- Three to five work samples of no longer than 3 pages each (news articles, press releases, feature stories, social media content, scripts, etc.)
For more details:
- Contact Andrea Gils, Marketing and Communications Manager, UK International Center at email@example.com.