PR/Marketing Assistant - Confucius Institute
Summary of the position
The University of Kentucky International Center’s Confucius Institute is seeking a motivated and creative public relations/marketing assistant to create, share, and measure content across multiple digital and traditional media. As the lead writer, editor and producer for the UK Confucius Institute (UKCI), the public relations/ marketing assistant will collaborate with colleagues and teams to produce written, photographic and video content that drive audience engagement and participation.
The public relations/marketing assistant will coordinate, manage and update marketing content on the external-facing UKCI’s website, ensuring consistency and alignment with the UK International Centers (UKIC)’s website branding and vision, while employing strategies to help keep content fresh, engaging and dynamic, as advised by the UKIC Marketing and Communications Manager, and Director of the UKCI.
The public relations/marketing assistant will also lead and coordinate the UKCI’s social media team; ensure content shared in UKCI’s main social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, WeChat, Weibo and Snapchat) remains dynamic, timely and visual, and engages the UKCI’s various stakeholders (both U.S.-based and China-based) in conversations; and will provide support in monitoring and reporting of social media trends and analytics. Successful candidates will be skilled communicators who have a passion for higher education and digital platforms, and will have hands-on experience managing web and content production, and have an understanding of social media community management and measurement, and communicating effectively with multicultural audiences.
The public relations/marketing assistant will also work with UKCI vendors to develop print materials such as flyers and print advertisements, and coordinate/organize events.
The public relations/marketing assistant will work closely with the Director of UKCI and will report to the UKIC Marketing and Communications Manager.
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Research, produce, edit and curate compelling content for multiple platforms – press releases, videos, photography, etc.
- Collaborate with colleagues and meet regularly with key students and staff to develop story ideas based on marketing/engagement objectives and strategic communications priorities.
- Transform content created for print media to be well formatted for and successful in digital channels, including social media.
- Support with the UKCI annual report and quarterly newsletter as needed.
Social Media Communications/Management
- Manage the UKCI’s presence on social media platforms; assist UKCI social media team in interacting with constituents on social platforms to support marketing, promotions, outreach, customer service and engagement priorities.
- Update master calendar with new content on a weekly basis.
- Extend marketing strategy into digital and social touch points.
- Engage in conversations with current students and community members to increase brand affinity, engagement and likelihood of involvement in UKCI initiatives and programming.
- Apply technology and analytics to identify trends and deliver superior customer service to key constituents in social media.
• Work with UKCI vendors including PR/Advertising firm to ensure print and online advertisements, flyers, brochures and other print materials are grammatically correct and error-free.
• Work with UKCI vendors, internal and external stakeholders to plan, coordinate and supervise various special projects and events.
Qualified candidates will be detail-oriented, creative, and demonstrate:
- Excellent cross-cultural written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to work in teams and with little supervision.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work while under pressure and short deadlines.
- Proofreading skills.
- Desire to learn in a fast-paced environment.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop).
- Working knowledge of various social media platforms, including but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat. WeChat and Weibo preferred.
- Working knowledge and/or aptitude to learn Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics and Hootsuite (or similar social media management tool).
- Full proficiency in MS Windows, iOS (Apple) and MS Office.
- Basic knowledge of Associated Press style.