"Protecting the Nation from Terrorist Entry in the United States, signed on March 6, 2017 is an Executive Order which includes a travel entry ban on nationals from certain countries and a call for information sharing to avoid nationals of new countries from being included in the travel ban. The 90-Day entry ban under Section 2(c) expired on Sunday, September 24, 2017, except for the portion relating to refugees, which expires on October, 24, 2017. Therefore, a proclamation was issued by the President to place restrictions on certain countries. The current list of countries comprises five that had been included in the prior 90-day entry ban (Sudan was removed), and three new countries: Chad, North Korea, and Venezuela.
The executive order can be found here https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/03/06/executive-order-protecting-nation-foreign-terrorist-entry-united-states
At the University of Kentucky International Center we understand that our first responsibility is to support our fellow students and colleagues. We take their fears and worries seriously, and understand that these times call us to be allies to those who are vulnerable.
The UKIC has been keeping up with the immigration updates and will continue to be vigilant, proactive and in close communication with University leadership. Please refer to President Capilouto’s campus message dated January 30, 2017.
Students with legal questions are strongly encouraged to seek prompt legal advice for their specific personal and family circumstances. Resources to find an immigration attorney include:
- American Immigration Lawyers Association Immigration Lawyer Referral Service – provides referrals to immigration attorneys across the U.S. - http://www.ailalawyer.com/
- ISSS can provide the names of some immigration attorneys. See attorney list below.
- UK Student Government Association –A local attorney provides free on-campus consultation for any legal issue. If you would like to set-up an appointment, you can contact Lynn Fresca, Staff Associate/Student Government Office Manager via email or call 257-3191.
- Maxwell Street Legal Clinic - Offer a range of low-cost legal services for low-income immigrants and refugees. For more information visit their web site: http://maxlegalaid.kyequaljustice.org/Immigration
- Bias Incident Support - To report an incident of bias and receive support please visit the website.
- Counseling Center - Counseling Center (UKCC) in Frazee Hall is ready to assist as appropriate. Call 257.8701 or visit Frazee Hall, room 106 for an Initial Assessment (IA), M-F, 9am-3pm or visit their website.
- The Office Academic Ombud Services - Supports and assists students with academic accommodations. Please visit their website for more information.