UKIC / Apply / Admission Requirements / Student Visa Types

Student Visa Types

Once accepted to the university, students are issued either an I-20 or DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility. These documents are necessary when applying at an American consulate or embassy for an F-1 (I-20) or J-1 (DS-2019) non-immigrant visa. Visit the US State Departments website for more details.  

  • Funding Sources
  • Funding Verification
  • Academic Issues
  • Employment
  • Grace Period After Completing Studies
  • Dependents
  • Two-Year Home Country Residency Requirement
F1 Students
  • No restrictions on the sources of funding.
  • Must demonstrate only the first year of funding, with the continued ability to access adequate funding after the first year. 
  • No restrictions on either changing degrees or fields of study.
  • Authorization of their Designated School Official (DSO) for on-campus employment is not needed.  For other types of employment, students must have either the authorization of their DSO or must apply to the US Citizenship & Immigration Services.
  • 60 days.
  • F-1 dependents can neither work nor pursue a degree.
  • Not subject to this requirement.
J1 Students
  • Must be supported substantially by funding from any source other than person or family funds, unless the exchange program is carried out pursuant to a written agreement between an American and foreign education institution or government.
  • Must be able demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to cover the entire duration of their program of study.
  • Allowed to change to higher degree, but cannot move from one degree level to a lower degree or from non-degree to degree student.  Must also remain in the same field of study as listed on the DS-2019 used for entry to the US.
  • Must have the authorization of their Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for all employment.
  • 30 days.
  • J-2 dependents can apply for work authorization and can pursue a degree.
  • Certain J-1 students are subject to the Two-Year Home Country Residency Requirement, see the form below.

Apply for admission as an F1 or J1 student or scholar here