Lexington: A Vibrant City
Big City, Small Town Feel
Just 10 minutes from UK's campus, you'll be able to enjoy downtown Lexington and a variety of events it hosts: from the Farmer's Market to Thursday Night Live, there's something for everyone, and there's always something to do. Aside from this, there are many of great restaurants in the area, and food trucks are popular too. If you need an escape from the city life, Lexington won't let you down either. After all, you are in horse country, home to some of the greatest horse farms nationwide that are a quick 20 minute drive from downtown. During the April and October, you'll get to join in a Kentucky tradition of attending horse races at Keeneland, arguably the nicest race-track in the US.
Where is Lexington?
Kentucky is located in the Southeast U.S. and the city of Lexington is in Central Kentucky, within day's access to two-thirds of the entire U.S. population due to its strategic location between two major highways. From the bustling downtown streets to the rolling hills of world-class horse farms, Lexington is a city like no other. A vibrant college town of 320,000 people, Lexington is home to metropolitan luxuries and the warm, welcoming feel of a small town.
- #2 Best Cities for New College Grads, SmartAsset (2020)
- #20 Cheapest Places to Live, U.S. News & World Report (2020)
- #29 Best Places to Live, U.S. News & World Report (2020)
- #3 Safest Metro City, Safewise (2019)
- #21 Best Places to Live in America, U.S. News & World Report (2019)
- #2 Best Midsized City for New Grads, OnlineDegrees (2018)
- #3 Best City with the Highest Salaries and Lowest Costs of Living, GoBankingRates (2018)
- #4 Top Mid-Sized Metro for Economic Development, Site Selection Magazine (2018)
- #6 City with the Best Work-Life Balance, SmartAsset (2018)
- Top School for LGBTQ* Students, Campus Pride Index (2018)
- #8 Best U.S. Destination, Lonely Planet (2018)
- #9 Friendliest Cities in the U.S., Conde Nast Traveler (2019)
- Top 9 Destinations to Visit in 2018, Vogue (2018)
- #10 Top Destination on the Rise, Trip Advisor (2018)
- Top 12 Global Destinations to Visit in 2018, Newsday (2018)
Most recently, Lexington received great scores by the Human Rights Campaign Equality Index. Check the details of the report here!
Keeneland: A Kentucky Tradition
Keeneland is Lexington's own world-known race track. Every April and October, Keeneland buzzes with people- some are there to bet on horses and others just to enjoy the event! Keeneland should be a "must-do" on your Kentucky bucket-list and an experience you won't regret, even if horses aren't your thing!
Explore all that Lexington has to offer at the city's official tourism website.