UKIC / International Student & Scholar Services / International Faculty & Staff / H-1B / Driver's License

Driver's License

Non-US citizens can drive up to one-year on their foreign country license as long as that country is a part of the Geneva Compact. To find out if your home country is part of the Geneva Compact, please visit 

  • The one-year date comes from the entry date stamped on their immigration document such as the I-94. 
  • If you are from a country that is not recognized by the Geneva Compact ,the non-US citizen cannot drive on their foreign license.  


Applications for a Kentucky drivers license can be made at the address below: 

The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) 
141 Leestown Center Way, Suite 125
Lexington, KY  40511
Phone: (859) 963-4018 


The following information is required at the time of application:   

  • Visa, Passport, I-94 
  • Employment Verification letter from University of Kentuck HR (Scovell Hall main office)  
  • Proof of Address within the last 60 days 
  • H-1B Approval (I-797A) 
  • Social Security card, Tax ID number, or an Ineligibility letter from the Social Security Administration 
  • Bring at least $60 for fees associated with applying for the license 

KRS 186.412 requires all non U.S. citizens wishing to apply for a Kentucky driver's license or ID card to make application to a Division of Driver Licensing Regional Office.  For more information about the rules for obtaining a Kentucky Driver’s License, please go to: 

NOTE: Non-immigrants are not allowed to register to vote. Please check "NO" when asked in your application.