UKIC / International Student & Scholar Services / International Faculty & Staff / J-1 Exchange Visitors / Driver's License

Driver's License

Non-US citizens can drive up to one-year on their foreign country license as long as that country is a part of the Geneva Compact. To find out if your home country is part of the Geneva Compact, please visit 

The one-year date comes from the entry date stamped on their immigration document such as the I-94. 

If from a country that is not recognized by the Geneva Compact the non-US citizen cannot drive on their foreign license.  

Scholars will attend appointments at the Fayette County Clerk.  The address is:  

141 Leestown Center Way, Ste. 115 
Lexington, KY 40511 
Phone: 859-963-4018 

To schedule an appointment (there are currently no walk-ins) to obtain a new Kentucky Driver’s License or Permit or to renew an existing license, use the following link:

The following information is required at the time of application:   

  • Visa, Passport, I-94 
  • Form TC 94-159 (Non - U.S. Citizen Driver Licensing & Personal Identification Application)  completed by J-1 Scholar Advisor, Marc Invergo
  • Proof of Address within the last 60 days 
  • DS-2019 
  • Social Security card, Tax ID number or an Ineligibility letter from the Social Security Administration 
  • Fees are subject to change. It is recommended to bring at least $60 in cash.

KRS 186.412 requires all non U.S. citizens wishing to apply for a Kentucky driver's license or ID card to make application to a Division of Driver Licensing Regio​nal Office.  For more information about the rules for obtaining a Kentucky Driver’s License, please go to: 

NOTE: Non-immigrants are not allowed to register to vote. Please check "NO" when asked in your application.

Global Lex has provided a Driver’s Education for English Learners series on YouTube in French, Arabic and Swahili. Students, Scholars, or dependents who need additional help preparing for the written exam may find these helpful.