- Unlimited coverage per Injury or Sickness.
- Unlimited coverage for essential benefits, including hospitalizations, doctor services, prescription drugs, rehabilitation and mental health services, pregnancy, and newborn care.
- Coverage for preventative care at 100% in network including immunizations, physicals exams/screenings, and birth control. A complete list of preventive services can be found at: www.healthcare.gov/news/factsheets/2010/07/preventive-services-list.html
- 80% of medical expenses must be paid by the insurance company you have coverage with.
- Covered Expenses related to pregnancy.
- Pre-existing Conditions cannot be excluded for any Covered Persons.
- The issuing company must have a phone contact within the United States.
- Proof of coverage must be provided in English and U.S. currency only.
- $10,000 coverage for medical evacuation (medical evacuation provides transportation to your home country in the event of a medical emergency).
- $10,000 coverage for repatriation (repatriation provides transportation to your home country in the event of death).
NOTE: Any benefits with a waiting period in force will NOT meet the guidelines to waive coverage.
Travel Plans will NOT meet the guidelines to waive coverage.
Please note that the University of Kentucky Health Coverage requirements exceed those of the Exchange Visitor Program. The requirements of that program are inadequate because they have not been updated in recent years and do not cover current medical costs.
If an Exchange Visitor has health coverage from another source, it MUST meet ALL the required specifications listed above. If a non-UK health plan is used, a University of Kentucky Benefits Verification Request Form (pdf below) must be completed by the non-UK health insurance provider. This form will need to be uploaded as part of your post arrival check-in process. Only this form will satisfy the health coverage requirement.
Upon arrival, the Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Student Health Plan can be purchased independently online by following the instructions below. If assistance is needed, please email StudentHealthPlan@uky.edu, to make an appointment for assistance. Coverage begins the day after enrollment. A J-2 cannot purchase insurance separately from the J-1.
To enroll for the Student Health Plan, follow the directions below, or you may also follow the STEP by STEP guide at the link at the bottom of the page.
1. Visit https://uky.myahpcare.com/
2. Click on the “Enrollment” tab. Then choose "Visiting Scholar Online Enrollment."
3. Follow directions to enroll yourself and/or any dependents. In the 'Special Code" field, you will use code "vs2021."
4. Save confirmation e-mail sent within minutes of enrollment completion.
5. Insurance proof must be given within three days to the J-1 Advisor.
Plan beginning and ending dates
Although the dates of this plan may not match your stay exactly, the SHP permits Visiting Scholars to purchase coverage for less than the entire benefit year (8/15/21-8/14/22) when needed. The UK plan is available in six (6) 2-month periods per benefit year. These dates and rates cannot be changed to match your arrival or departure dates.