UKIC / International Student & Scholar Services / International Faculty & Staff / J-1 Exchange Visitors / J-2 Dependents

J-2 Dependents

The dependents of J-1 Exchange Visitors are referred to as J-2 dependents.  Only the spouse and unmarried minor children (under 21 years of age) are eligible for J-2 status. 

J-1 Exchange Visitors can request a J-2 dependent DS-2019 at the same time that their DS-2019 is prepared or if they initially come alone but later want their dependents to join them, they will need to submit a request in iCAT by adding a new scholar dependent e-form. 

The minimum annual funding requirement for a J-1 at UK is $22,000; to add a spouse an additional $6,800; and to add a child an additional $4,700 per child.  If additional funding is required and funding is not through UK, it's necessary to upload a copy of an official bank statement or other funding source documentation in iCAT. 

If a J-2 spouse DS-2019 is being requested, a copy of the official marriage certificate should be uploaded with an English translation if necessary.  For each accompanying J-2 dependent, a copy of the passport bio page should also be uploaded in iCAT. 

A J-2 DS-2019 is issued for dependents and each family member will have his or her own SEVIS ID number as noted on his or her DS-2019. 

If you would like to add a J-2 dependent, submit the Add a New Scholar Dependent (SEVIS Document) e-form in iCAT under J-1 Scholar Services.  Multiple submissions are permitted to add each new dependent if more than one.