2018 Education Week @ JLU
1. Eligibility: UK faculty in various disciplines
2. Chinese University Teaching Location: Jilin University, Changchun, China
3. Teaching Responsibility:
- Length: Three weeks: Monday, May 14 – Monday, June 4, 2018 (Travel time is not included in this time frame)
1) Teach two 2-hour classes a week for three weeks (6 classes total);
2) Give a presentation or organize a workshop in your research area;
3) Participate in JLU-organized activities;
4) Collaborate with a JLU faculty member on a research plan
- Teaching hours: 12 hours (JLU students earn 1 credit)
- Time of the year: May 14 to June 4, 2018
4. Subjects: General Education courses for primarily first & second year undergraduate students (Entrepreneurship & Innovation Courses enjoy top priority). Please see suggested courses below. All courses should be taught in English.
General Education courses for freshman and second-year students (Entrepreneurship & Innovation Courses enjoy top priority). Suggested courses Include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
Literature and Arts: Cultivate the humanistic and artistic quality of students by reading classic literature and by appreciation of artistic work.
History and Culture: Understand the origin of human civilization and development; Think about the human phenomena and civilization to cultivate analysis skill and global perspective.
Philosophy and Wisdom: Foster independent and critical thinking, reasoning ability and appropriate values.
Language and Communication: Study communication skills, expand interpersonal relationships and improve organization skills.
Citizen and Society: Cultivate citizen awareness and qualities of leaders.
Market economy and strategic management: Understand the relationship between economy, management, and people’s lifestyle to adapt to the modern society
Globalization and social development: Analyze the economic and social phenomenon to understand the economic and financial policy and to adapt to the diversified society.
Natural evolution and life care: Understand the natural evolution and biology evolution, explore the meaning of life and care for life.
Technological progress and human development: Understand the motive of human development and have the spirit of exploration.
Technological innovation and scientific method: Explore the development and influence of the natural science, life science, and engineering science. Study the methods of knowledge organization, analysis and discovery of the world.
Entrepreneur and innovation: Examine the process by which innovations can be achieved, and understand how environmental and sustainability innovations can be successfully integrated into business strategy.
Other subjects not mentioned above.
**Language: All courses should be taught in English
Jilin University will cover the following:
1) International round-trip tickets (Economy coach class, not exceeding $2,000.00. Flight route should be from US departure city to Beijing to Changchun and Changchun to Beijing to US departure city. Faculty are to cover their own expenses if the travel route is different from US City-Beijing-Changchun).
2) Three weeks (including weekends) accommodation in Changchun
3) Teaching stipend: $1200.00 (could be more if extra work is requested by JLU)
4) A JLU Meal Card to cover meals on campus
- International round trip airfare will be reimbursed in USD and at the end of the first week of teaching.
- Stipend will be paid in RMB (Chinese Yuan) in the last week of teaching.
1) Please submit your application packet to Yinghong Huang at yhu256.uky.edu
o Course Syllabus
2) OCI/UKCI will work with Jilin University to determine acceptance
3) OCI/UKCI will notify candidates by March 19, 2018
4) Application deadline: February 15, 2018.
- A valid passport is needed for this trip. The passport must be valid at least 6 months at the conclusion of the trip, which means, the passport must be valid through December 2018.
- UKCI will handle the visa application for successful candidates. Candidates are responsible for paying a visa application fee of $333.50.
- Successful candidates will be covered under UK’s international travel medical insurance and evacuation policy upon registration with the UK International Center. Completion of this registration is a required element of participation in this program.
- For questions, please contact Jason Hope at email@example.com.
The UK Office of China Initiatives and Confucius Institute will host two required orientations for faculty who are selected to go to Jilin University.
- 1st orientation: Wednesday, March 28, from 4:30-6:30 PM at the new UKCI
- 2nd orientation: Wednesday, April 18, from 5-7 PM at the new UKCI
These orientations help prepare faculty for their teaching and living in Changchun, and these orientations are mandatory. For questions, please contact Huajing Maske at firstname.lastname@example.org