New China Studies Ph.D. Fellowship
The Confucius Institute Headquarters offers fellowship for international students to pursue doctoral studies in the Humanities or Social Sciences. Funds are provided from six months up to four years, covering tuition, round-trip international airfare, lodging and living stipend, research fund as well as expenses for life and medical insurance in China.
Applicants may select either a Joint Research PhD Fellowship or a PhD in China Fellowship to carry out at one of the following Chinese host universities of their choice:
- Peking University
- Renmin University of China
- Beijing Normal University
- Beijing Foreign Studies University
- Jilin University
- Shandong University
- Nanjing University
- Nankai University
- Fudan University
- East China Normal University
- Sichuan University
- Wuhan University
- Xiamen University
- Sun Yat-Sen University
- Beijing Language & Culture University.
Students from all countries may apply; however, citizens of China and any students already receiving a Chinese Government Scholarship are ineligible.
Funding provided for six months to two years or for up to four years,
depending on fellowship chosen
- Tuition to the Chinese university where applicant is going to conduct his/her studies
- Round-trip international airfare
- Lodging and living stipend of 80,000 RMB (approx. $13,000) per year
- Research fund of 20,000 RMB (approx. $3,200) per year
- Expenses for life and medical insurance in China
- Group activities and cultural experience provided by the Chinese host university
- Chinese Language Proficiency: Joint Research PhD Fellow: A Chinese proficiency certificate of the new HSK Level 3 or above PhD in China Fellow: Pass HSK Level 5 or above
Application & Selection Procedures:
- Log on here to complete the Application Form, to select the desired Chinese host university, and to upload the required documents
- Obtain one recommendation letter from the UK Confucius Institute
Following completion of the online application, all required documents should be mailed to the
Confucius Institute Headquarters: 129 Deshengmenwai Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, China
- The application will be reviewed by applicant’s selected host university
- Host universities will send narrowed lists of applicants to the Confucius China Studies Program Expert Committee for review and for a video interview in February 2015
- Admissions letters will be mailed by host universities to fellowship recipients
For questions, please contact Dandan Zhang at the UKCI at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or you may contact Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters directly at Tel: 86-10-58595756, Fax: 86-10-58595762, Email: email@example.com, and Web: http//ccsp.chinese.cn/
If you will not be earning academic credit during your time in China, you must register with the Office of International Health, Safety & Security.
Final acceptance cannot be confirmed until students have registered with the appropriate office.
As part of the registration process, all students will be enrolled in UK’s international travel medical