UKIC / Apply / Admissions / Student Visa Types

Student Visa Types

Once accepted to the university, students are issued either an I-20 or DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility. These documents are necessary when applying at an American consulate or embassy for an F-1 (I-20) or J-1 (DS-2019) non-immigrant visa. Visit the US State Departments website for more details.  

  • Funding Sources
  • Funding Verification
  • Academic Issues
  • Employment
  • Grace Period After Completing Studies
  • Dependents
  • Two-Year Home Country Residency Requirement
F1 Students
  • No restrictions on the sources of funding.
  • Must demonstrate only the first year of funding, with the continued ability to access adequate funding after the first year. 
  • No restrictions on either changing degrees or fields of study.
  • Authorization of their Designated School Official (DSO) for on-campus employment is not needed.  For other types of employment, students must have either the authorization of their DSO or must apply to the US Citizenship & Immigration Services.
  • 60 days.
  • F-1 dependents can neither work nor pursue a degree.
  • Not subject to this requirement.
J1 Students
  • Must be supported substantially by funding from any source other than person or family funds, unless the exchange program is carried out pursuant to a written agreement between an American and foreign education institution or government.
  • Must be able demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to cover the entire duration of their program of study.
  • Allowed to change to higher degree, but cannot move from one degree level to a lower degree or from non-degree to degree student.  Must also remain in the same field of study as listed on the DS-2019 used for entry to the US.
  • Must have the authorization of their Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for all employment.
  • 30 days.
  • J-2 dependents can apply for work authorization and can pursue a degree.
  • Certain J-1 students are subject to the Two-Year Home Country Residency Requirement, see the form below.

Apply for admission as an F1 or J1 student or scholar here

Welcome to the UK International Center! Bradley Hall is currently open for document drop-off and appointments only. Please contact a member of our team to schedule an appointment. We look forward to seeing you!