UKIC / International Health, Safety & Security / Prep / Traveler Safety / Traffic Safety

Traffic Safety

Road Travel Abroad

Though it comes as a surprise to many travelers, traffic accidents are a leading cause of death among American citizens overseas. Road conditions, traffic laws and driving behavior can vary widely between countries, and may be very different than what you are used to in the U.S.  

The Association of Safe International Road Travel (ASIRT) offers resources on their website to research the conditions you may encounter in your destination country. Some tips to remember include: 

  • Avoid late-night road travel in countries with poor safety records and/or mountainous terrain. 

  • Understand how seasonal hazards affect road conditions. 

  • If traveling on a local bus line, make sure the company is reputable, insured and licensed.

  • Understand safety risks around public transportation in your host country.

  • Be aware of traffic patterns in the area. 

  • Remember that pedestrians make up the majority of roadway fatalities. 

  • Do not walk in areas where pedestrians cannot be easily seen. 

  • Wear reflective clothing if jogging at dusk or dawn. 

  • Do not hitchhike. 

  • Always ride in the back seat of a taxi cab. 

  • Wear seat belts whenever possible. 


Driving & Rental Cars

UK employees should thoroughly research their destinations and carefully consider the risks of driving before choosing to rent a car overseas. If you do choose to drive on an international trip, keep the following points in mind: 

  • It is illegal to drive without a valid license and insurance in most countries. In many places, you  may need an International Driving Permit. Keep in mind that your domestic insurance may not cover you abroad- check with your insurance company before departure. 
  • Before renting a car for UK purposes, you must have a Motor Vehicle Record Release and Information Form on file with UK Risk Management
  • Comprehensive, collision, and liability insurance on vehicles rented outside the U.S. and in U.S. Territories is a reimbursable expense, and UK Risk Management recommends that it be obtained. 
  • The University prefers that rental cars be reserved through UK Travel. 

The U.S. Department of State provides additional tips on renting and driving cars abroad. 

UK students participating on Education Abroad programs should not rent or operate any kind of motor vehicle.