UKIC / International Student & Scholar Services / International Faculty & Staff / H-1B


H-1B employment status may be requested on behalf of international individual seeking employment in a specialty occupation. A specialty occupation is defined by U.S. immigration regulation as an occupation "which requires a theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge and attainment of a baccalaureate or higher degree or its equivalent as a minimum requirement for entry into the occupation." 214.2(h)(4)(i)(A)(1). 

A new employee will work with their supervisor to submit a request for H-1B status through iCAT. International employees will need to upload supporting documents and complete various e-Forms when prompted. If you are applying from abroad, you will also need to have a visa interview.  ISSS will answer any questions you may have throughout this process and provide information regarding the maintenance of your status as well as provide supporting documentation as necessary for various immigration related services.

Maintaining Status

Driver's License