UKIC / International Student & Scholar Services / Student Services / Leaving the University

Leaving the University

An F-1 student's legal status in the United States is directly related to the student pursuing a full-course of study. If you will be taking a leave of absence, withdrawing from UK, or transferring to another school, please submit an e-form request in iCAT. A student taking a leave of absence or withdrawing from UK will have their SEVIS record terminated with the reason "Authorized Early Withdrawal."  The student has 15 days from the withdrawal date to depart the United States.

Departure Notification

It is required by Immigration Law that you notify our office prior to departing permanently from the University of Kentucky and/or taking a temporary leave of absence.  You can do this by submitting the Departure Notice e-form in iCAT .

Transferring SEVIS Record

F-1 students who have been admitted or plan to attend another institution, college, or university within the United States, may request to have their SEVIS record be transferred to the new school in order to maintain their current SEVIS record. 

A SEVIS transfer is possible in the following circumstances: 

  • transferring to another school prior to the completion of your degree, 
  • completing your degree at UK and beginning another one at a different school, or 
  • changing to another school to seek a degree during, or at the completion of your Optional Practical Training. 

Once you're admitted to your new school, you can transfer your SEVIS record by submitting a "Transfer request" e-form in iCAT.  A release date must be chosen before submitting the e-form. This is the date on which the SEVIS record will be released to your new school. It is recommended that you submit your transfer request at least 2 weeks before your requested release date. 

UK will retain control over your student records in SEVIS until the release date is reached. Students may apply to many schools but the SEVIS record can only be transferred to one school.  Please note that a transfer cannot be canceled after the release date has been reached. 

The SEVIS record must be released no later than 60 days after the last day of the last registered semester or summer session. 

If you have not graduated, you may need to officially withdraw from the University of Kentucky and/or from any courses for which you are currently registered.  You can do this in the Registrar’s Office, Room 12, Funkhouser Building. 

After the release date, obtain an I-20 from the transfer school. Report to the DSO at the new transfer school within 15 days of the program start date listed on the I-20. 

Optional Practical Training:  Students currently on Optional Practical Training are eligible to have their SEVIS record transferred to another school in order to begin a new program.  The transfer must occur prior to the end of the 60-day grace period at the completion of the OPT.  Transferring during OPT, cancels the remainder of the OPT work authorization. 

On-campus employment:  Students who have completed/graduated from UK and plan to transfer to another school the following semester to begin a new program of study cannot work on campus unless it is part of their OPT.  Students who have not completed their course of study at UK may work on campus until their SEVIS record is transferred to the new school or reach their program end date, whichever is earlier.