Skip to main
University-wide Navigation

I-20 Funding Requirements

Tuition and Estimated Costs for the Form I-20 or DS-2019


  Undergraduate Graduate
Tuition/Fees $33,406 $35,459
Living Expenses and Books $15,000 $16,500
Health Insurance $2,654 $2,654
Total $51,060 $54,613

* Tuition and Fees are subject to change without notice. Cost may vary by program. For detailed information, please visit Student Account Services.

* Additional proof of funding if bringing dependents in the amount of $7,350 for a dependent spouse and/or $5,040 per dependent child.

Working on Campus

International students are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week on campus while enrolled for full-time coursework. Most on-campus jobs pay between $8 and $15 per hour. The student employment center assists students in finding job opportunities on campus. 

Exchange Student with Partner University

As a visiting exchange student with a partner university managed by the Office of Education Abroad, tuition is covered for one or two semesters per year as part of an exchange agreement. If you have been approved for an exchange student from a partner institution, please visit this page with details about the funding requirements for the J-1 visa. 

Payment Details

International students at the University of Kentucky are expected to take full responsibility for financing their education. Students who anticipate not being able to meet the cost of education and living expenses are advised to request a postponement of enrollment until adequate funding can be secured. 

The University of Kentucky has partnered with Flywire and Western Union to make the tuition payment process easy and secure for international student parents. Both of these systems provide benefits that will allow you to get excellent foreign exchange rates and save a significant amount of money. To pay with Flywire or Western Union click here

External Resources for Grants & Scholarships

Funding sources can differ depending on the region of the world in which students live. We strongly suggest contacting the nearest  Overseas Education Advising Center or the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your country. These centers have updated information about financial assistance and can assist with the application process.