Skip to main
University-wide Navigation

All UK students and employees traveling abroad on UK-endorsed international trips are covered under the University's blanket international travel medical insurance and evacuation policy. The summary of benefits for employees can be found here. The summary of benefits for students is available here

This coverage extends to dependent children, spouses and domestic partners of UK employees or students who are traveling on the same trips. Coverage is not available for employees or students who are traveling solely for personal reasons (e.g., vacations). 

Please note that this coverage is completely separate any domestic insurance coverage that a student or employee may have, including UK’s employee health plans.

UK employees are reminded to register their trips with the UK International Center before  departure. After registering, you will receive a detailed e-mail with instructions on how to access your coverage. 

This plan is not intended as nor should it be construed as comprehensive medical coverage. For continuity of care, you should maintain domestic health insurance coverage. 

UK’s international travel medical insurance is coordinated through International SOS. To locate a provider near you for which International SOS can set up a guarantee of payment, or for assistance in emergency situations, please ensure that you have downloaded the International SOS app before departure. You may also contact:

  • International SOS Worldwide Contact Number: 1-215-942-8226
  • E-mail:
  • For customer service, eligibility verification, plan information or to file a claim, contact:
    • Administrative Concepts, Inc.: 1-888-293-9229 (from inside the U.S.) or 1-610-293-9229 (from outside the U.S.), fax 610-293-9299, or e-mail
  • Mail claims to: Administrative Concepts, Inc., 994 Old Eagle School Rd., S. 1005, Wayne, PA 19087-1706. Keep copies of all documents for your records.


Coverage Information

UK's insurance policy includes coverage in a variety of areas, including the following:  

  • Medical expenses, up to $250,000. 
  • Medical evacuation expenses, up to 100% of incurred costs. 
  • Repatriation of remains, up to 100% of incurred costs. 
  • Emergency Reunion benefits, up to $12,500, for a family member to travel to you if you are hospitalized for more than 24 hours, or if you are the victim of a felonious assault. 
  • Trip cancellation benefits, up to $2,500 if you are prevented from taking your trip due to certain covered events. 
  • Trip interruption benefits, up to $2,500 if you must return home early due to certain covered events. 
  • 14 days of additional coverage, if you plan to use personal time immediately before or after a business trip. 


Cost of Coverage

Insurance coverage is offered to full-time UK employees, postdoctoral scholars and GME residents at no charge. UK students (including student employees) and post-doctoral fellows are charged $10.50 per week (rounded up to the nearest full week) for the coverage. The charge will be posted to their student account statement as one lump sum during the term in which they are abroad and will only be charged for their international program dates- not for the entire term. 

 If you have questions regarding coverage, please direct them to Jason Hope, Director of Global Risk & Strategic Operations, at


Political Security and Natural Disaster Evacuation Services

In the event of certain covered natural or political disasters in their host country, travelers covered by UK's International Travel Medical Insurance policy are also eligible for evacuation service. The evacuation service will coordinate and pay to evacuate you to the nearest place of safety, or to the U.S. If you have a security concern or require evacuation, seek shelter as soon as possible, and call International SOS at 1-215-942-8226. Then call the UK Police Department at 1-859-257-8573, who will relay your information to the appropriate authorities on campus. Both International SOS and the UK Police Department's phone lines are staffed at all times.


Claims Submission Information

In the event of an emergency where you are unable to contact International SOS before seeking treatment, you may submit claims after the fact for reimbursement. A detailed description of the claims filing process can be found in this document.

There are two forms which you may need to submit, depending on the circumstances: the medical claim form, and the trip cancellation or interruption claim form. Please ensure that you input your employee or student ID on the "Member ID" line of the appropriate claim form. This will allow you to digitally track your claim's status.


Prescription Medication Information

If you will need to have a prescription refilled while you are abroad, make sure to contact International SOS as soon as possible. They will need certain information from your prescribing physician to assist you in refilling your prescription. 

Please also note that some medications that are legal in the US may be illegal abroad. This can be particularly true with medications like Adderall, Benzodiazepines, and prescription narcotics, among others. Be sure to contact International SOS if you have any questions surrounding the legality of your medication in your host country.


National Student Exchange (NSE) & Domestic Program Information

Students who participate on National Student Exchange (NSE) programs or other study away programs within the contiguous United States, Alaska and Hawaii are not eligible for coverage under UK's international travel medical insurance and evacuation policy and are responsible for ensuring that they have adequate insurance for their time away from UK.

Students participating on NSE programs in Canada or traveling to any US territory are required to take UK's international insurance, which will be billed to them at the normal rate.


Additional Information for International Students

When international students (i.e., students in the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa) are traveling to their home country and they are part of a trip or program led by one or more UK employees, they are required to take UK’s international insurance coverage.

In situations where international students are traveling independently to their home country, they can choose to opt out of UK’s international insurance coverage.


Employee Long-Term Disability Coverage

For international travel in certain high risk destination countries, long-term disability coverage requires registration with the UK International Center and approval by the President, Provost or an Executive Vice President. Contact Director of Global Risk & Strategic Operations Jason Hope at for further information on this requirement.


Personal Property Insurance

UK students traveling abroad are eligible to purchase personal property insurance through GradGuard. This insurance may cover items such as laptops, cell phones, books, etc. For more information on this optional coverage, please visit this link and scroll down to the "Personal Property" section.