Insurance Coverage Abroad for Students
AXA Assistance - International Travel Medical Insurance
All UK students traveling abroad on trips explicitly endorsed by the University are required to have insurance coverage under the University's blanket international travel medical insurance and evacuation policy, except in limited circumstances. Scroll down for more information on when UK’s coverage may be waived. No waivers are granted to participants of international group travel experiences. The summary of benefits for students is available here.
UK’s coverage extends to dependent children, spouses and domestic partners of UK students who are traveling on the same trips. Coverage is not available on trips taken solely for personal reasons (e.g., vacations).
Please note that this coverage is completely separate from the student health fee and any domestic insurance plan.
This plan is not intended as nor should it be construed as comprehensive medical coverage. For continuity of care, you should maintain domestic health insurance coverage.
To locate a provider near you for which AXA Assistance can set up a guarantee of payment, or for assistance in emergency situations, contact:
- Worldwide Contact Number: 1-312-935-3542
- USA Contact Number: 1-888-287-4741
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For customer service, eligibility verification, plan information or to file a claim, contact:
- Administrative Concepts, Inc.: 1-888-293-9229 (from inside the U.S.) or 1-610-293-9229 (from outside the U.S.), fax 610-293-9299, or e-mail email@example.com.
- Mail claims to: Administrative Concepts, Inc., 994 Old Eagle School Rd., S. 1005, Wayne, PA 19087-1706. Keep copies of all documents for your records.
UK's insurance policy includes coverage in a variety of areas, including the following:
- Medical expenses, up to $250,000.
- Medical evacuation expenses, up to 100% of incurred costs.
- Repatriation of remains, up to 100% of incurred costs.
- Emergency Reunion benefits, up to $12,500, for a family member to travel to you if you are hospitalized for more than 24 hours, or if you are the victim of a felonious assault.
- Trip cancellation benefits, up to $2,500 if you are prevented from taking your trip due to certain covered events.
- Trip interruption benefits, up to $2,500 if you must return home early due to certain covered events.
- 14 days of additional coverage, if you plan to travel independently immediately before or after a program.
Cost of Coverage
UK students (including student employees) post-doctoral fellows, and GME staff/residents are charged $10.50 per week (rounded up to the nearest full week) for the coverage. The charge will be posted to their student account statement as one lump sum during the term in which they are abroad, and will only be charged for their international program dates- not for the entire term.
If you have questions regarding coverage, please direct them to Jason Hope, Director of Global Risk & Strategic Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are placed into quarantine as the result of a positive test for COVID-19 or another contagious disease that prevents you from traveling, this policy includes up to $2,000 in coverage for reasonable expenses related to lodging and meals, airfare and non-refundable travel arrangements. The description of this benefit is available at this link. This coverage is currently available through July 31, 2022.
Prescription Medication Information
If you will need to have a prescription refilled while you are abroad, make sure to contact AXA Assistance as soon as possible. They will need certain information from your prescribing physician in order to assist you in refilling your prescription. Make sure to have your doctor complete this form, and send it to AXA Assistance as soon as possible to begin the process.
Please also note that some medications are illegal overseas that may be legal in the US. For more information on this consideration, and for tips on determining any regulations surrounding your medication, click here.
Political Security and Natural Disaster Evacuation Services
In the event of certain covered natural or political disasters in their host country, travelers covered by UK's International Travel Medical Insurance policy are also eligible for evacuation service. The evacuation service will coordinate and pay to evacuate you to the nearest place of safety, or to the U.S. If you have a security concern or require evacuation, seek shelter as soon as possible, and call AXA Assistance at 1-515-365-3990. Then call the UK Police Department at 1-859-257-8573, who will relay your information to the appropriate authorities on campus. Both AXA Assistance and the UK Police Department's phone lines are staffed at all times.
Claims Submission Information
In the event of an emergency where you are unable to contact AXA Assistance before seeking treatment, you may submit claims after the fact for reimbursement. A detailed description of the claims filing process can be found in this document.
There are two forms which you may need to submit, depending on the circumstances: the medical claim form, and the trip cancellation or interruption claim form. Please ensure that you input your student ID on the "Member ID" line of the appropriate claim form. This will allow you to digitally track your claim's status.
Make sure to review the claims process before your departure to ensure that you are able to gather the required information from your healthcare provider.
More information about filing a claim and tracking your claim status can be found here.
Education Abroad Waivers to UK’s Insurance
The UKIC may grant a waiver to the international insurance coverage requirement in cases where students are participating on an external program that offers uniform coverage that meets UK's minumim insurance standards. No waivers are granted to participants of international group travel experiences.
The minimum coverage requirements are as follows:
- $200,000 Benefit for Injury or Sickness
- $50,000 Benefit for Medical Evacuations
- $20,000 Benefit for Repatriation of Remains
- $7,500 Benefit for Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Evacuation benefits in case of political/natural disaster
Some UK Partner, UK Consortia and UK Exchange programs include travel medical insurance coverage that meets UK’s minimum standards. The following program providers have been pre-approved and therefore, participants on these programs will not be charged for UK’s international insurance plan.
Partners waived for Fall 2021, Winter 2021-22, Spring 2022 and Summer 2022:
- API (Academic Programs International)
- Barcelona SAE (Study Abroad Experience)
- CCSA (The Cooperative Center for Study Abroad)
- Global Experiences
- ISEP (International Student Exchange Program)
- KEI (Knowledge Exchange Institute)
- KIIS (Kentucky Institute for International Studies)
- SAI (Study Abroad Institute)
- SAS (Semester at Sea)
- SRAS (School of Russian and Asian Studies)
National Student Exchange (NSE) Program Information
Students who participate on National Student Exchange (NSE) programs within the contiguous United States, Alaska and Hawaii are not eligible for coverage under UK's international travel medical insurance and evacuation policy, and are responsible for ensuring that they have adequate insurance for their time away from UK.
Students participating on NSE programs in Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands are eligible for and required to take UK's international insurance, which will be billed to them at the normal rate.
Additional Information for International Students
When international students (i.e., students in the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa) are traveling to their home country and they are part of a trip or program led by one or more UK employees, they are required to take UK’s international insurance coverage.
In situations where international students are traveling independently to their home country, they can choose to opt out of UK’s international insurance coverage.
Personal Property Insurance
Members of the UK community traveling abroad are eligible to purchase personal property insurance through Haylor, Freyer & Coon, Inc. This insurance may cover items such as laptops, cell phones, books, musical instruments, etc. For more information on this optional coverage, please visit this link.