To apply for a driver's license or renew your current driver's license, please follow the steps below.
- First you will need your Social Security Number (SSN) or a letter from the Social Security Administration stating that you are not eligible for a SSN. In order to receive a "letter of ineligibility" you will request it from the Social Security Administration Office in Lexington.
- If you have a job already, please follow the SSN instructions for F-1 students or J-1 students in order to obtain a social security number. Only students with approved employment authorization are eligible for a social security card.
- You will need a letter of support from ISSS that states you are a student in good standing at the University of Kentucky.
- Select the "Letter Request" form on the iCAT website and choose the "Driver's License/State ID Card" option.
- When your letter is ready, you will receive an approval email.
Student and scholars will attend appointments at the Fayette County Clerk. The address is:
141 Leestown Center Way, Ste. 115
Lexington, KY 40511
To schedule an appointment (there are currently no walk-ins) to obtain a new Kentucky Driver’s License or Permit or to renew an existing license, use the following link: https://schedule.ky.gov/Booking.Web/Event/Book/308.
When you arrive for your appointment, please be sure to call again to indicate you have arrived rather than walking in.
- Bring cash for payment. They do not accept checks or credit cards. Fees vary and are subject to change, so it is advisable to bring at least $60 with you.
- You will also need proof of address. This should be a piece of mail addressed to you that has been post-marked within 30 days and delivered through the U.S. Postal Service. If you have not received any mail yet, you can mail yourself a letter and bring that with you after it has been delivered.
- To know which items will be needed, non-US citizens should pick their visa type from the drop-down on this website: https://drive.ky.gov/driver-licensing/Pages/Non-US-Citizens.aspx (scroll down to *Required Documentation).
- If you have not held a Kentucky Driver’s License in the past, you will be required to take the written, vision, and driving tests.
NOTE: Non-immigrants are not allowed to register to vote. Please check "NO" when asked in your application.
For more information about obtaining a driver's license, visit https://drive.ky.gov/driver-licensing/Pages/Non-US-Citizens.aspx.
Global Lex has provided a Driver’s Education for English Learners series on YouTube in French, Arabic and Swahili. Students or dependents who need additional help preparing for the written exam may find these helpful.