UKIC / International Student & Scholar Services / Student Services / Driver's License/Kentucky State ID

Driver's License/Kentucky State ID

To apply for a driver's license or renew your current driver's license, please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Social Security Number or Letter of Ineligibility

  • First you will need your Social Security Number (SSN) or a letter from the Social Security Administration stating that you are not eligible for a SSN. In order to receive a "letter of ineligibility" you must go to the Social Security Administration Office in Lexington. 
  • If you have a job already, please follow the SSN instructions for F-1 students or J-1 students in order to obtain a social security number. Only students with approved employment authorization are eligible for a social security card.

Step 2: Letter from International Student Scholar Services (ISSS)

  • You will need a letter of support from ISSS that states you are a student in good standing at the University of Kentucky. 
  • Select the "Letter Request" form on the iCAT website and choose the "Driver's License/State ID Card" option. 
  • When you have received an approval email that your letter is ready, come to pick up your letter from the ISSS main office in Bradley Hall.

Step 3: Visit the County Clerk’s Office

  • County Clerk's Address: 

1591 Winchester Road, Suite 104 
Lexington, KY 
Phone: (859) 246-2151 

Office hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. 
Closed Saturday and Sunday and holidays. 

  • Be sure to bring cash for payment, as they do not accept checks or credit cards.  Fees vary and are subject to change, so it is advisable to bring at least $60 with you.
  • You will also need proof of address. This should be a piece of mail addressed to you that has been post-marked within 30 days and delivered through the U.S. Postal Service. If you have not received any mail yet, you can mail yourself a letter and bring that with you after it has been delivered.
  • Bring all of your official immigration documents, including passport with visa and (or Print out from I-94), I-20 or DS-2019.
  • NOTE: Non-immigrants are not allowed to register to vote. Please check "NO" when asked in your application. 

For more information about obtaining a driver's license, visit

Global Lex has provided a Driver’s Education for English Learners series on YouTube in French, Arabic and Swahili. Students or dependents who need additional help preparing for the written exam may find these helpful.